Currently, I'm tied to my desk at work with no access to the draft feeds on either Versus or TSN. So I'm going to have to follow along on Twitter and catch up later. But in between my bouts of productiveness, I've found a moment to update the blog.
Here are six things we're expected to see at the draft, which gets underway shortly:
- Edmonton — The Oilers have the first and 19th overall picks. They haven't said so specifically, but I wouldn't rule out the possiblity of seeing their new road sweater on the backs of their newest players. It's widely expected they will launch a new white jersey to match the blue and orange home threads.
- Florida — The Panthers pick third and will be using that occasion to unveil their new red home uniform. It's already out there on Twitter if you're dying to see it. I'll have pictures on the blog later tonight.
- Winnipeg — The recently relocated club will reportedly announce the team's new name just prior to announcing its first ever draft pick, 7th overall. TSN and other sources are reporting that they will be the Jets. No big surprise there.
- Los Angeles — The Kings would've had the 19th overall pick, but they handed it over to the Oilers. Still, the new white road jersey is making the rounds on the draft floor. See the Icethetics Twitter feed for a look at it.
- Nashville — The Predators would've picked 21st if they hadn't traded it for Mike Fisher. Still, the team will apparently unveil its new road jersey at some point tonight. Yesterday, we got a look at prototypes that I'm told are pretty close to the final version.
- Tampa Bay — The Lightning will pick 27th overall and should give the new blue jersey to their draftee. The Bolts' new threads were unveiled back in January but won't hit the ice until the fall.
Obviously, trades are still possible and Los Angeles and Nashville could back first round picks that way. Be sure to tune in to see what happens. A very exciting night ahead!