We're almost halfway through this summer's 13 Weeks of R&R to reinvigorate the IceHL Project. Now the time has come to put our talented artists to work! If you have an idea, send it along.
The Design Contest
Voters have made 11 teams eligible for rebranding this summer. We're still doing some late evaluations on six of them, but the other five are final and fair game for designers. So we'll start accepting new designs for those right now.
There aren't many rules in IceHL design contests, but they must be followed:
- DO NOT STEAL ARTWORK. No copying or tracing. No clipart. No adapting existing designs. No "borrowing." Create something original and distinctive!
- Exception to adaptation rule: Since we're rebranding teams, you may choose to update the team's current logo in some way. In that case, you will share credit with the original designer. (I'll decide whether you've made enough of a change to be included in voting.)
- Entries must be submitted via email to email@example.com.
- Valid entries will include at least a primary logo and a wordmark. Secondary logos are at the designer's discretion.
- Please submit vector artwork (PDF/AI/SVG) if at all possible as this will be helpful to me when creating graphics for the web as well as the IceHL yearbook. (I will also accept high-resolution JPG and PNG formats.)
- Include your first and last name as well as email address on the actual artwork.
- Finally, by submitting artwork you agree to allow Icethetics to use it in conjunction with IceHL-related projects and publications.
DEADLINE: Saturday, June 8
You have three weeks to design and submit your work. Have fun and good luck! We'll begin voting on Mon., June 10 so if you end up needing an extra day, please let me know in advance.
As I said, we're starting with five teams, but the other six should be decided within the next few days. The graphics below give you the team names as well as the voter-recommended color palettes. I suggest sampling the colors in these images. However, if you need RGB values, please let me know.
The colors are not mandatory. If you have your own color scheme in mind, we won't stand in your way. However, I'd encourage all designers to avoid any shade of blue. It is easily the most overused color in the league. We could use a little variety at this point.
The colors listed include current, suggested and alternate so that each team has at least two color palette options. If no "suggested" palette is listed, then voters picked the current palette. Again, you're not limited to these colors, but this lets you know what the voters might prefer.
Non-Designers Can Help Too
One more thing. You may not be skilled in graphic design, but maybe you're the big-picture type. If you have a great idea for a logo design, but can't put on paper, try putting it into words. Describe your idea in the comments and maybe it'll help one of our designers who's struggling to come up with an idea. You may not get a design credit, but you can still be part of the process!
Good luck to all!